Monday, November 25, 2013

Month of Gratitude Day 25: Digging!

We've lived in this house over five years now, and for that five years have cleared away the weeds from the three surrounding lots.  Two of those lots are empty, but the lot behind us has a house.  For some of those years we had wonderful neighbors in that house who cared enough to at least drag out a mower or even better do some weed whacking, but the owner of the house, who also owns the rest of the unsold lots in the development hasn't bothered to put in landscaping.  I found out last spring that city ordinance requires a home to have landscaping within the first year for the front yard and within the first two years for the back.  As soon as I figured that out, I went to the city with a neighborhood compliance complaint.  Now it is fall, in fact, nigh unto winter.  We've had snow.  The owner who lives in Los Angeles doesn't understand about seasons I think.  What a great time to dig ditches and install sprinkler pipes, right?  That's what is happening right now.  But I don't care if they want to work in cold weather, I'm just absolutely thrilled to see something getting done!

No comments: