This week, American Festival Chorus, joined by choirs from Virginia and Illinois, is doing "An American Salute" with special guest artist, Peter Cetera.
Last night, as Craig Jessop rehearsed the men singing "In the Beauty of the Lilies, Christ was born across the sea" from "The Battle Hymn of the Republic," I was carried away in the beauty and grandeur of that men's chorus singing. What an amazing blessing it is for me to sing under the direction of this master. He coaxes the most beautiful of sounds from untrained people. He mentioned to us one night as we practiced Battle Hymn that "I know this piece pretty well." That is a masterful understatement.
I can't think of a better way to spend the week before Independence Day than to be rehearsing America's finest music under the baton of one of America's finest choral conductors. Craig Jessop is just as intense and concerned about "When You Wish Upon a Star" as he is the Mozart Requiem, and rightly so. I have learned so much from him, and I can tell by listening to the choir, that I'm not the only one. Each time we perform, it's better than the last. The concert will blow you away.
1 comment:
We LOVED the concert. I, like you, was amazed at the sound Craig Jessop can get out of a local, untrained choir. It was beautiful.
Post a Comment