Wednesday, June 2, 2010

WW: Winged Weeder

I will be in Lima, Peru when this blog posts on Wednesday. Automatic posting is a great thing!



The Winged Weeder is my all time favorite garden tool.  These were actually invented by Bryce's Grandpa Allred and later marketed by his Aunt Donna Mae and Uncle Lyle.  The company has since been sold, but the Winged Weeders are still out there making gardeners happy. 

It is absolutely the best tool for keeping the grass cleaned away from the metal border edging.  I always use it to make furrows and cover seeds when planting.  It's the best in my yard for getting out weeds because I have water lines and electric (landscape lighting) wires hidden under the soil.  I can't go in there with a power tool, and risk chopping things with a shovel.  In fact I nicked a wire yesterday with a shovel and had to wrap it with tape.

After using them well over ten years, I broke both my regular sized one and my junior last week on the same day!  That was a very sad day.  I guess I was just too hard on them, using them to chop out some heavy grass growing into my beds.  But, I was able to buy a new one.  Happy Day!  I hope I use this one at least ten years.

2 comments:

Sara said...

When we were here in Farmington planting Maa's garden, I found that she has a winged weeder! I was so excited! I learned to garden using your winged weeders, it was pretty great to be able to use the same tools as always

Laurie HF said...

That's great to hear! And, you can come and use mine in my garden anytime. :)