Friday, June 25, 2010

On Top of the World

 Wow, wow, wow.  That was the word used most often on today's climb to the top of Beirdneau Peak.  We started out with six ladies, but four of them left us at about two miles up.  Nan and I continued the climb to the top of Beirdneau Peak, at 8,910 feet.  We began our hike about 8:15 this morning, and got back to Gus about 5:00 p.m.  My pedometer reads 27,407 steps and just over 12 miles (including what I did after I got home tonight, which wasn't much!)  
We started in Green Canyon, on the right side of this ridge, climbing nearly three miles to the top of the ridge.  Then we hiked along the top of this ridge to the peak behind us.
This is Saddle Hill, the mountain that rises above our house.  Notice that we're above it.
This was the view at lunch, before we got to the top. See the patch of snow?
And here's the peak.  Yes, I climbed it all the way to the top, including scaling those rocks.
From the ridge you can see down into Logan Canyon on the south, and Green Canyon on the north.  The views were amazing, and sorry, but the pictures just don't do it justice.  I feel like I really accomplished something today!  Thanks for being there with me, Nan!

2 comments:

Nan said...

It was a natural high. There is something about being in the mountains, and in this case, on top of the mountains. I loved hiking with you, Laurie.

JoLynn said...

I love the picture of you 2 on top of the world. Wish I could have been up there with you!