Wednesday, May 19, 2010

WW: Library website

This week's wonderful thing on Wednesday is the city library's website.  I volunteer weekly reading stories and singing songs to adults with disabilities at their day care center.  That requires eight to ten picture books per week.  I try to choose a theme each week, so locating those books and checking them out can add up to many hours.  Those hours used to be spent looking up books in the card catalog, then kneeling or stooping on the floor by the children's racks in the library. 

Then I discovered that I can do a search at home on my computer.  I pick a subject, search on it, specifying the type of material I want, choose some books (getting extra in case some aren't really appropriate) and put them on hold with a click of my computer mouse.  A few days later I get an email telling me that my books are waiting for me.  I go to the library, return a stack, hand them my card and pick up a stack, all in less than five minutes.   So great!

\
Wednesday's Wonders

No comments: