Friday, January 15, 2010
NaCl
Salt. There are references in the scriptures about the importance of salt, but living here on a hill, without the city's help to plow or keep up the roads, salt has taken on a whole new meaning to me. I guess the salt I'm referring to is not really NaCl, it's probably a different kind, and maybe not even technically "salt," but whatever it is, it works miracles on our little piece of street. We woke up to about half an inch of new snow on Thursday morning. I blew the snow from our concrete driveway with my leaf blower, and then took a tub full (about two or three cups) of "salt" out and sprinkled it on the hill. In a few hours, the hill was black asphalt again. The interesting thing is, if I make a line of it at the crest of the hill, by the end of the day it has melted all the way to the bottom of the hill - ah gravity and salt together, what can be better! I can tell where I've sprinkled it because the area above the crest stays snow covered. Salt behaves differently in North Dakota, where we used to live. It's too cold there for it to really perform its miracles. But here, it's just warm enough to do some good. Thanks, salt. I appreciate you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hooray for salt! I've discovered a new love for it out here in New England as well!
Great post! They use purple salt here on the sidewalks. We're fans, too!
Post a Comment