Monday, February 1, 2010

Gus scores again

One of the reasons Bryce likes owning a four wheel drive (and this has been the case since he was a teenager) is the ability to pull other vehicles out of tight spots.  In fact, he rather measures his manhood by the vehicles that he has towed.  Years ago he had an old Jeep truck that he used to pull a big new Chevy out of a pond and the year that I had to pull him and the red Jeep out of a ditch with my minivan was total embarrassment.  So, he was very proud to tell that Gus, our new Toyota 4 Runner has now pulled Eric's Volvo Station wagon out of the snow.  Well, today, Gus and I topped that one.  The Fedex guy came to deliver a package.  He pulled his big truck into our driveway, brought the package up, and then backed out and into a snowdrift on the other side of the street. One back wheel settled itself into the snow and just spun.  He wasn't going anywhere. I watched him get out and look at it from several angles, then get out his cell phone. I went out to see what I could do. He asked if I had an SUV and I told him gladly that I had a four wheel drive Toyota 4 runner and a tow rope. We hooked up the rope to the back of Gus and to the front of his big truck (probably about four times the size of Gus). I put Gus in low four and in low gear, tightened up the rope and we got that truck right out, no problem.  Bryce has been giggling all day, but I know that he wishes secretly that he was in the driver's seat.  Of course, he can take all the credit because he taught me all I know.

7 comments:

Tubbs Family said...

Thats awesome that you were behind the wheel! Way to save the day!

JoLynn said...

Val and I watched a program about FedEx on the history channel not long ago. We were amazed at how demanding their schedules are and the pressure the employees have to work under. Often times they are right to the minute with their deliveries. Your FedEx guy was probably so relieved to have you help!!

Granny D Fifield said...

Boy does Bryce take after someone else I know. This post is a winner! We both enjoyed it a lot.

Laurie HF said...

My mom says that Fedex should offer me free shipping. :)

Sara said...

Yeah Gus!! That's a great story. I think it will probably go down with the other family lore. Like Tony the wonder dog.

Tynel Jarnagin said...

Number one- I love it that your car is named Gus! Number two- I love it that you can throw the car in low four... and so on and so forth with all the towing words! Very impressive!

Lisa said...

I think Gus is the coolest! Our civic wants to be Gus when he grows up.