Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Lisa!

Boy, I've been quite the blogger lately.  Hope everyone isn't too overwhelmed by so much to read.  But, it was my daughter Lisa's birthday yesterday and I just have to blog a bit about that.

Lisa's husband Cody worked very hard to make it a special day for her.  He talked to me about three weeks ago about throwing a surprise birthday party for her - at my house.  He told me that he wanted to have a pork roast on the rotisserie.  I suggested he get some yams and we'd bake them to go with it.  I should have sat down with Cody and made a shopping list, because he got only four yams and no vegetable, but on the whole, he really did a great job.  He also got a couple of Poblano peppers. We did have a glitch when we couldn't get the cold propane flowing on the grill to do the rotisserie, so we ended up browning the roast in a pan on the stove, then putting in some water, the roasted and peeled peppers and a bunch of sliced apples.  The roast turned out fantastically.

The party was supposed to start at 6:00.  We had quite a few people planning to come.  Then Lisa got a couple new piano students a few days ago and they were scheduled from 6:00 to 7:00.  That meant that almost all the guests would be gone by the time she arrived.  So, we made an alternate plan.  We fixed the dinner to be done by 6:00, fed those who were here, and video taped them singing Happy Birthday to Lisa.  When she actually did come, those of us who were still here surprised her by singing along to the video. 

I enlisted the aid of this cute little guy to help with the frosting.  He measured out the nuts and poured them in, then the coconut and poured that in too.  When the cake was all put together, he put the candle on top.  Later when I asked him what he put into the frosting (nuts, coconut), he said "candles."

2 comments:

Nan said...

Sounds like a fun dinner. You had a few glitches and still made it work.

Lisa said...

I think Cody had some really great ideas for the dinner...he had listened to me carefully and knew I would like rotisserie pork roast and deep-fried yam chips. I was so grateful for him and all his hard work to make a surprise party for me. He is such a thoughtful, caring guy, and wants to please everyone. It's only a little sad that I ruined everything with the sudden schedule change! I had a great time nonetheless, and am also super grateful for my mom being flexible and rolling with the punches--you made my day! Thanks; I love you so much, mom!