Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Getting old ain't for sissies

I never wore glasses when I was growing up.  In fact, I went forty years without glasses.  So, it's just been the last few years that I have learned what it's like to need glasses in order to be able to see.  I don't need them for driving, just for reading and all things close up.  But after getting them for the first time, the amount of time I need them has increased.  And, I really have grown attached to my nice no-line bifocals. 

I broke my glasses yesterday.  This is the first time in my life I've broken a pair of glasses.  It hurts!  I had a bit of hope at first because the lady at the glasses shop said she'd work on them and I could pick them up today.  But she told me today they can't be repaired.  Yes, I have another old pair (they're LINED bi-focals) that I can use, and today I taped the temple on the broken pair.  I can wear them, but they'll never again go into my purse and travel along with me.  They'll be the pair I wear at home.    I don't want to buy another pair yet, they were $500.00!  And, we're out of flex medical money until July.  So, it will be limp along for me until then.  Blah.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the title of this post. Helps me remember dear Brother Effertz. And I'm still sorry about the broken glasses. That's a major bummer! :(

Kathy said...

Boo! No good at all. :(