Sunday, February 1, 2009

Construction is done!!

Bryce and I have spent many hours (assisted often by Cody and others) finishing his library. This week we finished the construction. All that's left is painting and carpeting. We've been working on this room (and the other two rooms) pretty much every weekend since we moved in. Here's a pictorial essay of what we've been doing just the last week or so.

We got the chair rail installed - but I didn't take pictures of that specifically. Next came installing the vertical trim. First measure and cut, then glue.
Make sure it's plumb, stick it up.
And fire in some nails.
Put on spackle to cover the nail holes.

And sand it smooth.

Here's how you make those pretty edges on the tops of the doors and the chair rail molding. First cut 45 degree angles (toward the back) on the molding in the beginning. Then cut tiny little pieces to fit in the spaces. These have to be really accurate. And as you can see, Bryce is getting really good at it.




Now for the last part - the baseboard trim. Here's the before shot.

Bryce had two tables spread out for the 16 foot long pieces. I had to hold one end for him to cut. Measure, cut and nail it in.

Here's the primer on. The paint is white also.





Cleaning up here - and you can see that Bryce's desk is pretty nasty (dust). He's been living with it that way while under construction. Then below you can see that we moved his desk out into the family room until the painting and carpet is done. He must be feeling excited about having his room finished - look how clean his desk is!

2 comments:

Tynel Jarnagin said...

very impressive work! I love to do home improvement/do it yourself projects

Nikki said...

Wow! I am in awe! I love that you showed step-by-step how to do it. It looks great!