Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Too early for applesauce


Yes, it's way too early for applesauce. I know that, but explain it to Cody. :) I wish I'd taken a picture of the large black outdoor trash can full to the brim with golf ball sized apples that he hauled to our house today. I have no idea how he got them here in his car. And besides those, there were many boxes and buckets full. There are seven apple trees in Lisa and Cody's yard. Last year when Kristin and I were doing applesauce, Lisa was very pregnant and didn't get to do any. I think that got her and Cody excited about the very heavily laden trees in their yard and as soon as some started falling, it was time to pick. The little apples that made up most of what we did today were probably close to being ready. We've convinced (I hope) Cody to wait awhile to pick the Golden Delicious apples. We'll probably dry those.
Here's Lisa stirring up a batch (above) while Lee and Anna are playing with every toy and book they can pull off the shelf (below). They actually were very patient with us ignoring them all day. The pink applesauce was made by adding a bag of "Cinnamon Imperials" (red hots) candy.
The pot on the left is full of apples and the pot on the right full of jars of applesauce. The stove was on for about twelve hours today.
Final count at 10:02 p.m, all 49 jars cooked and kitchen clean.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

yippee skippie! There's a kitchen under all those apples!

Thanks again for helping me. I think the rest of the apples Cody picked will be compost. ;)

Nikki said...

Cinnamon imperials? I never would've thought! How very clever. :)

Great pics. I always love the pics at the end of canning day with shiny happy jars lined up on the counter waiting for a place in the storage room.