American Festival Chorus, less than one year old, was requested to sing at the inauguration of Utah's new Governor Herbert. Since Governor Huntsman is now the US ambassador to China, the inauguration happened yesterday. What a great honor, and a thrill to sing in the state capitol building's huge rotunda. I was in a good place to snap a few pictures with my Iphone as we rehearsed. Of course the news people were much more interested in the politics and the American Idol star that opened with the Star Spangled Banner. BUT, we are the ones who at the end of the ceremony got a standing ovation from the outgoing and incoming governors, their wives, the Salt Lake Catholic Bishop, and President Thomas S. Monson, along with the hundreds of people that were there. What a thrill to finish "God Bless America" and have those dignitaries stand up, turn around and applaud us, with Mrs. Herbert wiping her eyes.
Here we are, lined up. As you can tell, I'm up on the side, around the corner, like the ladies across from me.
Here's Craig warming us up. You can see the kids from Cache Children's choir on the steps in front.
And this was my view of the big room, before people came to watch. I couldn't take pictures when we were performing - not appropriate! But, from here during our warm up I saw the police come in with dogs to check out the seating area.
Our spot to wait and rest was the gallery of the House of Representatives. I just had to share this picture. Craig was again working through some of the music when he knocked his music off the banister. That's of course why we were told not to put things on the banister. Someone had to go and get a security person to let him into the House floor to retrieve the music.
No comments:
Post a Comment