I LOVE General Conference weekend! We've had such a great day today, listening to our prophet and the apostles, sitting quietly and just letting the spirit soak in. What a great experience to be able to have the conference sessions right in our home. Sara came and had breakfast with us and then stayed to listen. She went home between sessions and got ready for work, then came back and watched the afternoon session, had dinner and headed out. It was fun to have her.
I've been thinking about the Mormon Tabernacle Choir lately, and as they sang today I thought I'd put down some of my thoughts. Some of our friends in North Dakota expect me to try to get into the choir. But now I know that won't happen, and I'm really good with that. Just so my friends won't be too disappointed, let me explain. If you sing with Mormon Tabernacle Choir, you can't hold other church positions because you are expected to be in Salt Lake City every Sunday morning for Music and the Spoken Word. In fact, you may not be able to attend services in your own ward. We have three that visit our ward now because we meet in the afternoon. Besides being there on Sundays, there are also Thursday evening rehearsals every week, and many other additional rehearsals from time to time. That would be a lot of travel for me since I don't live in Salt Lake City. In order to audition, you must be 55 years old or younger. On my 52nd birthday, I was called as Relief Society President, a calling that I expect to have for about three years.
Last year when we moved here, auditions for the Tabernacle choir were closed. They had just lost their director, Craig Jessop, who moved here and took a job at USU the same time we did. Craig also started up a new choir here, American Festival Chorus. I auditioned for AFC and have had an amazing experience singing with Craig Jessop. In my mind, it is as good or better than singing with the MoTab because our repertoire will be much more varied. Maybe when I turn 55 I'll be released and have a chance at the Tabernacle Choir, but I'm not worried about it. There are other wonderful experiences for me to have here!
4 comments:
Being in the MoTab is a big job! They travel multiple times each year, and have Thursday and Sunday rehearsals. I think you're wise to enjoy what there is to do here for a while.
You would be awesome in the MoTab (thats just fun to say) plus it would give us someone to look for :-) I also told Travis about the age requirement and while I was TRYING to enjoy the beautiful singing he was TRYING to point out anyone that looked younger. And Congrats on your calling. It suits you. You'll be fabulous. You're organized, caring, and pratical. RS presidents are strong women.
Our General Conference weekend is on the 18-19th of April. Weird hu? I can't wait though. So glad you guys are doing so well!! Sara is awesome by the way, just in case you didn't know. Gin.
General Conference was amazing as always! How neat that you are singing in a choir with Craig Jessop- he is truly one of the 'greats'.
Post a Comment