Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sourdough Artisan Bread



I've been learning to bake sourdough artisan bread. My dear friend Becky taught me and gave me the recipe. It takes four ingredients - flour and water (which includes the wild yeast in the starter), salt and oil. You make the dough one day, which takes several hours as you let it rest and then knead, rest and knead, rest and knead. Then you shape the loaves and they rise overnight. The next day you bake the loaves one by one on a stone in the oven. During the first half of the baking, the loaf is covered by a stainless steel bowl that has been rinsed out with water to add some steam to the baking. The bowl is removed halfway through the cooking time. One important thing that I learned is - when the oven is set at 450 degrees, and a metal bowl has been in there for 20 minutes, it's REALLY hot! After getting a little burn the first time I tried this a few weeks ago, I've been really careful to remove the bowl with long handled tongs and let it sit on top of the stove to cool. But, stupid stupid me. Tonight, I was making myself some soup to go with the fresh bread for dinner, and about a minute after putting the hot bowl on top of the stove, I grabbed it with my left hand to move it so I could put a pan on the burner. As I type, I keep stopping to hold a bag of ice cubes with my left hand. I've used up several aloe vera leaves from my plant in the kitchen. I have blisters on the ends of two fingers and my thumb, and the other two fingers are red and ouchy. But, wow, it's really great bread! The flavor is outstanding and the crust is to die for. I want to expand to some other varieties now.

4 comments:

The Schooley's said...

That looks so yummy, I had to wipe some drool off the side of my mouth!! I kept scrolling down for the recipe!! Any chance you will post it?? It looks amazing!

Lisa said...

Kami called me last night after she left your house saying how amazing of a cook you were, and how she was so incredibly grateful (I'm toning her words down a lot) she was for the bread. She said she couldn't stop eating it. I think it's delicious too!

Tubbs Family said...

That really does look great. Sourdough is by far my favorite, but I've never made it myself. Job well done!!

Sue said...

Yum, I'd love to stop by for a lesson on bread making. Hmmm, I wonder when we can fit that in?