What a joyous experience we had today! We had our “former Nodak” reunion beginning at 3:00 this afternoon, and it went until about 10:00 tonight. People came from far and near and stayed and visited and laughed. Our house was reverberating with fun visiting and chatting. It was so great to see everyone again, and to meet new people that share our common experiences.

People who came:

Our family - Lisa, Cody, Lee and Anna, Matthew, Kristin and Axton, (Cody and Kristin were both really good sports considering they didn’t know anyone except our family), and Sara. (I was stupid and didn't get a picture of any except Lisa and Cody and kids.) And, I was stupid and didn't get a picture of Matthew, Kristin, Axton, or Sara.

Keven and Cindy Prusak and their son Matthew (ND 2000-2002). Keven was Bishop before Bryce, and Cindy was my counselor in the stake Relief Society Presidency.

Carl, Lorie, Brandon and Shane Johnson (ND 1999-2003). They were good friends in the ward and came for one of Max’s birthday parties. Brandon was Lisa’s prom date in High School more than once.

Steve, Diane, Logan and Emily Dolatowski (ND 2002-2007). Steve was Elder’s quorum president and then one of Bryce’s counselors in the bishopric.

People who came:

Our family - Lisa, Cody, Lee and Anna, Matthew, Kristin and Axton, (Cody and Kristin were both really good sports considering they didn’t know anyone except our family), and Sara. (I was stupid and didn't get a picture of any except Lisa and Cody and kids.) And, I was stupid and didn't get a picture of Matthew, Kristin, Axton, or Sara.

Keven and Cindy Prusak and their son Matthew (ND 2000-2002). Keven was Bishop before Bryce, and Cindy was my counselor in the stake Relief Society Presidency.

Carl, Lorie, Brandon and Shane Johnson (ND 1999-2003). They were good friends in the ward and came for one of Max’s birthday parties. Brandon was Lisa’s prom date in High School more than once.

Steve, Diane, Logan and Emily Dolatowski (ND 2002-2007). Steve was Elder’s quorum president and then one of Bryce’s counselors in the bishopric.

Dan and Brenda Dahlgren. (ND 1984-1994). He was district president and has the distinction of being the man that refused to sell the piece of property on which the temple now stands in spite of several requests from church headquarters. His name is legend now in the Bismarck temple district, but as is usual in a true leader, he kept reminding us tonight that he wasn’t the only one involved in that decision, he just got the credit.

David and Roxanne Salisbury (ND 1978-1990). David was also a district president and requested four times that the district be made a stake, but was turned down.

Larry and Stephanie Martin (ND 1994-2004). Larry was the first Bishop of our ward, after it became a ward. Steph worked with Bryce for a time, and they helped convince us to come to ND. Steph and Larry were in the state for an audiology conference and were able to add this reunion into their visit.

Frank and Carol Archer (ND 1997-1999). Their daughter Jennifer was Lisa’s close friend, and continues to be close. We found out just before they left that Frank and Bryce have common ancestry.

Jack and Lorie Rasmussen, and their daughter Lindsay (ND July 1996 - August 2002). Our family and the Rasmussen family became very close friends, as our children are similar ages. Lindsay and Sara were best buddies. Their son Derek, his wife Brooke and their family also lived in our ward where Derek did his family practice residency. Brooke served as Relief Society president when Bryce was Bishop. (Lindsay came late, and again, I didn't get her picture.)
We had calls and emails from the Cranes and the Neslens saying that they had planned to come, but were unable to because of sick kids and other problems. Sara especially was sad about missing the Neslens as she was Sara’s Young Women leader.
What a special time we had! People played ping pong in the big unfinished room in the basement and Wii (Lisa and Cody’s) in the guest room downstairs. I put a table in Bryce’s library with games, but we used that room more for sitting and visiting than playing games. Upstairs we had four pots of soup, a huge assortment of rolls and brownies and cookies and Texas cake. I had to occasionally force people to sit down as they would move from one group to another to chat. I made a North Dakota trivia game and people really had fun with that, discussing and answering the questions. I also took pictures of each family group as they arrived and plan to make up a booklet to share with them and the people back in ND. It is amazing how an experience like this bonds people. The Dahlgrens and Salisburys came even though they didn’t know anyone else, and we had such fun hearing their stories from the earlier days. They were the ones who laid the foundation for the Bismarck temple to be built. It was just a delightful time. I’m so glad that we put this together and hope that we can have another party like this some time.

President Dahlgren and President Salisbury - two former District Presidents.

The first three bishops left to right in order of latest to earliest, Fifield, Prusak and Martin.

Just chatting in the great room.
13 comments:
Looks like a fun party! I like the banner on the fireplace. It almost looks like one of those vinyls that are so popular right now.
I'm excited to see pics of your new music room furniture after it is delivered.
That sounds like it was so much fun! Makes me wanna live closer to all you that influenced my life so much growing up! p.s. congrats on the new calling!
I am bummed I missed it. Give everyone a great big hug for me. I am so there next time you have one of these shindigs! And I second Rachel's congrats-you are going to be a fabulous RS president. Your skills and talents will be put to good use. :)
~Jeni Shearman
It truly was a wonderful time. Thanks to the Fifield's for planning and hosting. We loved to see everyone who was there and missed each of you who weren't.
Stephanie Martin
Justin and I would have loved to been there. If you do it again and we are no longer in school, we will definitely attend. It looks like you had a lot of fun catching up with everyone.
~Heather
What a great idea! David,Belinda, Sarai and two new siblings are doing well here in San Antonio. We will be here for another year. If you want to visit the Alamo, come stay with us! 210-659-6518 davidandbelinda@yahoo.com
That looks like SO much fun! Of course, it had to happen the ONE semester we're across the country on an internship! If we were in Rexburg, we so would have been there!
What a neat experience! And I agree with everyone else, congratulations on the new calling! You're going to be great!
Looks like fun! We loved ND! Especailly since that was where our beautiful Megan was born! We miss our friends, the wards and the people there!
Sounds like a fun night! I know almost everyone and it was neat to see them. I was excited to see the Dolatowski's were there because any mail I have sent them never goes through. Could you by chance get me their address. What a wonderful thing to do, I bet no one misses the cold we have either.
We had a grand time, thanks mom and dad! I really like that picture of our family.
Looks like it was a great time... I wish I could have had the time to go and see so many old friends.
~Carlie Nordquist Evans
Though I am months later in commenting, I wanted to thank you for sharing this on your blog. There really is something about the closeness of church members here in ND... There is quite a group of young people, mostly those who lived in the Bismarck/Mandan area (but I know they have included and had visits from Cranes and others) who have fairly regular gatherings; Riskedahls, Danielsons, Zentzes, Frohlichs, to name just a few of the participants. Anyway, you did a great thing - and I'm sure each gathering effort will be fun and worthwhile!
We miss you - and hope your life is wonderful in beautiful Cache Valley. I have a sister in Smithfield now! Next time we come to Utah, I will try to track you down!
Love and hugs,
Karla and the Cox gang
Post a Comment