


Today was an amazing day. I just can't describe how grateful I am to my sons (Matthew and Cody) and to my dear husband Bryce for their help today. Lisa's comment was "you'll be the envy of every sister in the Relief Society. I think that may be true. Everyone arrived about 8:00 and we had breakfast. Then the men went to work building shelves in our cellar. Now, this is no mean feat. The cellar is completely concrete lined, and is as long as the front of the house up to the garage.
To put pieces of wood onto concrete requires a special tool and some gunpowder shots that shoot the nail into the concrete. We found out that it's really lodged in there too, once it goes in.
The only thing I had to do to earn all this wonderful help was feed my men, and I didn't have to do that alone either. We started the day with a tasty breakfast of bacon, eggs, pancakes, fruit and juice. We had a light lunch, and I tried out the rotisserie on the barbecue grill for the first time tonight, making some fabulous chickens. It was my first grilling experience where I did it all, no help from Bryce. I did have to make a trip to The Home Depot to trade the rotisserie we bought before for the one that really fits our grill, (a story in itself). Lisa made some fabulous potatoes and we enjoyed some of her home grown zucchini. For dessert, we had a light and tasty sorbet that Lisa made from the fruit we had left from breakfast.


There's still a bit more to do before I get to start loading things on the shelves, but Bryce and I will be able to finish. It's mostly putting screws into the support boards to hold the shelves in place and putting "stiffeners" across the front of the shelves. That means that I get to help with Bryce's compressor nailer (really cool). The big heavy work is done. Did I mention that we had to borrow a truck from our neighbor Sherm to buy the wood Friday night? We brought home seven sheets of particle board, one of chipboard and three sheets of MDF, plus all those 2 x 4's. HEAVY!


1 comment:
What a terrific job! I would love to have such shelf-building talent. I love all the details and great pics. You for sure will be the envy of every sister in the Relief Society. I had no idea that you could put things into concrete. I think I might head to Menards and see what they have. I need a bit more shelves in my laundry area. :)
Post a Comment