Then Sara and Eric decided they would join in, and Bryce sent a message to the lady in charge asking if they still needed a "super." She sent him back an email telling him that they would be excited to have him in and he forwarded it to us saying "I'm hired!" The hard work began then for Sara, Eric and I, learning the music in Russian and getting it memorized. Sara was struggling and wondering if she had taken on something she shouldn't have. Bryce sat at home while we had several music rehearsals. It all changed last Thursday when we started staging the opera.
Bryce had been told that he would be a guard in the first scene. All morning Thursday he told me he was practicing being tough. He especially needed to practice his bows, because he knew that the audience would be overcome by his stage presence and they would give him flowers. He was sure he would be very commanding and important. Of course I just laughed, but then when we got to the rehearsal look what they gave him to hold!
He took the part very seriously. Doesn't he look commanding? I sneaked this picture when I was on the floor below with about forty other peasants. The director (a cute little Russian lady) asked Bryce if he was a musician and told him he must be because he had been so good at picking up his part. He said yes, and would she write that down so he could show his mother? She said she would. As a guard, he has to wield the spear and herd the peasants down from this stage to the floor. One of them said to him yesterday in jest, "Why are you so mean?" Bryce told him that he has to stay in character.
| You can see the stage they've built for this show and a little bit of where people can stand. The peasants were out on break at this time, but we are scattered all over the steps and the floor. Prince Shuisky is up there singing where Boris will be standing at the coronation. He is partly behind Bryce's axe. Bryce will be a few steps above that as Patriarch. |
When we got home Saturday afternoon, Bryce got an email from the manager asking him to come to a staging rehearsal Monday. It seems they want him in another scene as a guard. Sara, Eric and I have been to about four more rehearsals than Bryce, have been slaving over learning Russian, and Bryce just comes in and enjoys himself. Our name tags say "Ancillary Chorus" and Bryce's says "Super." Next time I think I want to be a "super" but I know I won't be as big a ham as my husband.
3 comments:
I'm not one iota surprised that dad was able to walk in and be director's favorite in a matter of moments--singing or not. :)
I love the title of your post. I don't much about opera but it sure sounds like your family is having fun together.
Hilarious! I'm so glad I get to see it!!
Post a Comment