Along with hiking this summer, I'm doing a bunch of musical things that I should share. First, American Festival Chorus is going on tour with Maureen McGovern. If you don't remember her, she sang the theme song for the Poseidon Adventure "There's Got to be Morning After." We will sing a concert in Logan on July 1, then in Idaho Falls July 2, and in Sun Valley, Idaho July 3. We rehearse each Wednesday night with Craig Jessop. After we return, AFC will be off for the rest of the summer.
Second, I'm singing in the opera "Carmen" with the Utah Festival Opera Company. This has been a huge challenge for me as we are singing in French. The music is not hard to learn, but the words have been really tough. I'm getting better over time, but there isn't a lot of time left! I feel like I'm trying to memorize gibberish. UFOC is a huge and well oiled machine. Just for me, a lowly ensemble member, there are three costumes and two wigs. And I'm just in one of the six productions that they are doing (four operas and two other shows). Most of the ensemble that I'm singing with are professionals being paid to be there. It's amazing to sing in a choir made up of soloists. Reminds me a bit of singing with my family. :) (My family will understand that joke.)
So, if anyone is in town (or in Idaho Falls or Sun Valley) this summer and wants to see a great production, I recommend American Festival Chorus and Utah Festival Opera.
1 comment:
wow that sounds like sooo much fun. Good luck on the words I hear you there. My college choir did a lot of lattin and other languages that were all greek to me. Hope you have a blast
Post a Comment