Friday, June 26, 2009

Crimson Trail

You're probably getting tired of my Friday hiking posts, but the hikes just continue to get better! I think I'm getting stronger. I still have to stop to breathe, especially on a steep hike like today, but I can go longer stretches. Here I am on the trail.

Crimson Trail begins by the Logan river and follows a steep set of switchbacks to the top of the "China Wall" which is the rocky cliff you can see here. The Wind Caves, where we hiked last week, are on the other side of the canyon. We could see with binoculars, people on that trail today. We didn't pass anyone on Crimson Trail though.



Nan took this picture, and you really can't get a sense as to how tall that cliff is. Whew! It was scary just sitting there, and especially putting our feet over. When we got ready to get up, Nancy insisted that we have a plan for who would move first and how they'd move. She didn't want anyone falling.
The two below might give you a better sense of how high we were.


See the trail there, in front of the big tree?

After we got to the top and went across on the ridge for awhile, we started back down the other side. We'd had clouds and a few sprinkles of rain all morning, but that's when it started to rain hard. We were pretty wet when we finished! The drowned billy goats are, from left to right, me, Lisa, JoLynn, Nancy, Tracii and Nan. We've finally decided on a name for our group - ladies likin' hikin'.
Can't wait for the next hike!

4 comments:

JoLynn said...

Love the post and loved the hike. I love hiking with you too!

Jenifer said...

I am so jealous of your hikes. It's to hot to even think about going outside here! Keep posting about them...have to live vicariously through someone. :)

Lisa said...

That picture of you on the edge of the cliff gives me the jibbilies. But otherwise, I'm totally proud of my likin' hikin' mom!

Julie said...

That hike is a family favorite of mine. I've done it multiple times with cousins, parents, etc...I'm a little jealous but it was fun to see your pictures.