One more week of school and then I'm finished! That's an amazing thing to think about. I've been at this job since August of 2001. Maybe some day I'll get another job, but for now I'm looking forward to being a grandmother and maybe volunteering at Bryce's center.
These are things I won't miss about my job: cleavage, boxer shorts or thongs showing above jeans, tongue and eyebrow piercings, foul language, irresponsibility, grouchy people and the 5:50 a.m. alarm. Mostly I won't miss the brown recycled paper towels in the bathrooms.
But, there are many more things that I WILL miss. I will miss the camaraderie with co-workers. I've really come to enjoy that, and it's not something I was good at eight years ago. I will miss working one on one with a student and seeing the "ah ha!" look on his or her face when understanding finally comes. I will miss the feeling I get when I finally figure out how to teach something to bring that "ah ha!" I will miss doing Geometry and Advanced Algebra problems, sometimes three or four times in the same day. I will miss studying history and Government and reading Literature with the students. I will miss learning new things not just in academic subjects, but in many aspects of my life (although I plan to find ways to keep learning.) I'll miss Muscle Pump a LOT! Glee M is my hero. I'm taking her with me on a couple of DVDs. But I can't take along the people I've sweated with the last couple of years. There are many people that I will miss. I hope that I can stay in touch with some of them. On Wednesday after school we're having a get together for pie and visiting in my honor. I feel loved.
(Edited Monday morning, May 19) This morning I had a surprise waiting at school. The "Friday Treat Club" - the ladies that I have break with every day, put together a brunch in honor of me and another lady that's retiring. They had all signed a card for me, the table was decorated with a tablecloth and flowers, and they got me a beautiful "slide" (the decorative part of a necklace that slides onto a chain). Now I really feel loved.
Goodbye Magic City Campus. I will take fond memories away with me.
1 comment:
Are you sure you won't miss the cleavage or thongs hanging out of their pants?? Not even a little?? I know, I'm kidding, I think it is a disgusting fashion. We will miss you as well. The best of luck. I love reading your blog!!
Post a Comment