Referring back to previous "toothless" posts
1 - http://bryceandlaurie.blogspot.com/2009/04/toothless.html
2 -http://bryceandlaurie.blogspot.com/2009/04/addendum-to-toothless.html
and 3 - http://bryceandlaurie.blogspot.com/2009/07/toothless-post-2.html
I now have a full set of teeth. The big hole is filled in. It felt a little strange for the first day, but now the only strangeness is the occasional time when my tongue expects a hole, and there isn't one anymore.
It has been a long process that began in March. To quickly recap, After the tooth broke and an attempt was made to save it without success, Dr. L pulled the tooth. I then waited about three months for that to heal and the bone to grow back into the places where the roots had been. Next I went back and a titanium screw was placed into my jaw and covered with a plastic disk. Then I waited another three months for it to heal. Finally a few weeks ago, I went in and Dr. L screwed an extension onto the screw in my jaw, then took an impression of my mouth and sent it to a lab for a tooth to be made to fit my hole. He then removed the extension, replaced the plastic cap and sent me on my way for another three weeks.
Monday, Dr. L took off the plastic cover (for the last time), screwed in the extension (yes, it's just like any other screw except that it is small and in my mouth) and then fitted the new tooth over the extension. It fit well, so he glued it in. The first few hours it felt strange and my teeth felt like they were being pushed a bit. They hadn't had any pressure in that area for over six months. But now it feels totally normal. I can chew without worrying about that hole, and the only thing that is slightly abnormal is that when I brush my teeth, the new tooth has a different sound in my ear - rather squeaky. I'm thrilled and thankful that I had a great dentist who could take care of this permanent solution for me. It should last until I die. Thanksgiving dinner, here I come!
No comments:
Post a Comment