Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Top of the World

Of course it was Friday (OK, I'm a couple of days late) and time to hike again. We hiked to the top of Mt. Naomi back in July, but several ladies had missed that hike and wanted to do it again, so that's what we did Friday. The hike was very different. Last time, there was still snow covering much of the trail. This time the trail was all there. The wildflowers were blooming in abundance last time. This time we had some colors changing in the leaves. Fall is coming on. I have been amazed at how much strength I've gained from these hikes this year. The first hike back in May, I came home and sprawled out on the bed the rest of the day, and it was a half day, short hike. This time I was tired, but I still did some shopping and things tonight with Bryce. I wasn't totally spent. My calves were sore the next day, of course, after all, it was pretty steep. One interesting thing to note is, once we drive into the canyon, there is no longer cell phone service. But on the top of the mountain, we were in sight of some towers again and could send messages and call family.
Just all in all a great day, and an amazing thing to live in the midst of this extraordinary beauty.
Nancy and JoLynn on the top of the mountain. See Smithfield canyon behind them?
Can you see Kim up there on the trail? This was the last little bit to the top.
Here I am showing off my new backpack with water hose.
I went up one way, but wasn't sure it was right, then called the others to follow me up when I found the trail again on top.
We thought this was a cool old tree.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh mom, you're so funny. I love your hiking posts, and that you're taking advantage of this beautiful spot of land we have. I fear too many of us don't take full advantage of where we live, and I'm proud of you and all your Likin' Hikin' ladies. You're going to adore hiking through the fall as the colors change.