Monday, December 8, 2008

Snow

Snow is an interesting thing. I've learned by living in various locations around the United States, that snow is different depending on where you live. For example, North Dakota snow falls in tiny pellets and it doesn't fall down, it falls sideways, blown by harsh winds. If the weather is a bit warmer, then it may look like flakes and pile up, but that's unusual. The first few storms in the fall can bring large flake snow, but more likely, they will bring freezing rain. Roads get nasty early and stay that way, with snow and ice accumulation sticking. Road crews sprinkle the roads with gravel, which turns the snow brown and helps the sun to warm and eventually wear it off. Even if the temperature is below freezing (as low as 20 degrees) the sun and cars driving will wear off this dark colored snow on the roads. Snow in North Dakota is well used. One storm's accumulation may need to be shoveled off the driveway several times since the wind will come and move it again. This is dry snow, and really can't be used to make a snowman. When I was young, I was told "it's too cold to snow." I learned that it doesn't matter how cold it is, it can still snow.

In Utah, the first few snowstorms of winter coat only the grass and rooftops. The roads get wet, but the snow doesn't stick, and in the few places where it does, it melts quickly. The snow falls down and in flakes. Sometimes a wind will come before the storm, but not usually during the storm. This is snowman and snowball snow, the kind that piles up ahead of your shovel when you are pushing it off the driveway. This snow doesn't drift because it's too heavy and wet.

Of course it is possible for all types of snow to fall in all places, and it does. But, I never saw a ground blizzard until I lived in North Dakota.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

And that's why they say Utah has "The Best Snow on Earth."