Saturday, April 16, 2011

For Nikki's Fridge Party

My friend Nikki is having a fridge party.  You can read about it here.  So here are some thoughts from me about organizing a fridge.  Sara (being my food scientist daughter) has some great ideas about food safety.  She commented on Nikki's blog as well, and her ideas are good to read.

First, you've got to have a turntable or two.  This one is perfect for my jams, yogurt, sour cream, pickles, etc., all those little jars that get sucked into the bowels of the fridge and lost.  This particular turntable came from Bed Bath and Beyond and amazingly fit my fridge perfectly. 
 Yup, sometimes I stack things, like that yeast on top of the other package of yeast.  My shelves are set just high enough for the tallest thing I plan to put on there, which isn't very tall.  The shelf below is just the right height for two boxes of eggs.  Then I have other taller shelves.
 I love these door shelves too.  The milk is on the top one, but each door shelf has a purpose. The bottom is for salad dressing, including mayo.  The middle is for barbecue and steak sauce and lemon juice and soy sauce, stuff you add when cooking.  (My mom has hers on a turntable.)  Next up are mustards and other condiments like Ketchup.  Of course I'm the only one who really knows this system, and often things get put in another order, but that's OK, at least they get put away.
Have fun with your fridge party Nikki!  Sorry it took so long to get this posted.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Now THAT is a beautiful fridge! I simply must find some turntables. Thanks for posting this. I really appreciate it!