Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Prayer Unto Me

I've been really sick this week, with a three day fever, cough and stuffy nose and my voice is pretty non-existent. I have to be careful not to talk too much or I start coughing. So, singing is also out. I really really missed being able to sing the hymns today in church. I held the hymnbook and mouthed the words, and quietly tried some of the low notes (I made a pretty good tenor!) but how I missed being able to joyfully sing the hymns. I've always loved singing the hymns, but I think sometimes I take them for granted. The Lord has told us that hymns are another way of praying. I'm grateful that I'm beginning to recover so that I can enjoy them again.

Each year the Primary children take over one Sunday Sacrament meeting and sing songs and give little talks. Today was that day. The Primary songs are amazing. I can't think of a better way to teach children the Gospel of Jesus Christ than by learning to sing those wonderful Primary hymns. There were several that I wasn't familiar with, but the children were so enthusiastic and joyful in their singing that they brought a powerful spirit to the meeting. I went through at least five tissues (of course part of that is my stupid stuffy nose).

Thank you, all you Primary workers out there who are teaching the children the teachings of Christ through music and word. You are making a difference in the future of all of us.

I'm grateful to Matthew Neeley who wrote the words and music to one of the songs that really touched me today:

"Our Father has a family. It’s me!
It’s you, all others too: we are His children.
He sent each one of us to earth, through birth,
To live and learn here in fam’lies.

God gave us families
To help us become what He wants us to be.
This is how He shares His love,
For the Family is of God."

I thank my Heavenly Father for music and for His love for us, His children.

1 comment:

Nan said...

I missed hearing you sing. I always enjoy sitting across from you in the aisle and hearing your beautiful voice singing the hymns.