Sunday, October 4, 2009

Five Hills


This week's Friday hike was called "Five Hills." It started in Smithfield. It was about 28 degrees when we got in the car this morning to head out. Hence the gloves. I was actually last, but asked the ladies to turn around and look for this picture. I thought I should chronicle the steepness of the hill!

Here we are on top of one of the hills (it's warmer now). From left, Laurie, JoLynn, Kim, Nan and Nancy.
The snow covered peak in front is Mount Naomi, where we hiked twice this summer. Below is looking back at the Wellsvilles, which had been our plan for today, but the snow necessitated a change.
Coming down, there was no trail. We couldn't decide if it was easier down in the gully climbing over and through trees, or up on the side of the hill, sliding on the loose rock. I liked the gully best, and got there on my rear so not to fall.
We stopped for pictures lots of times. I bought a miniature tripod this week and brought it along. Several of the others borrowed it. Aren't the leaves wonderful?
What a gorgeous fall day! I hope the weather holds for a few more hikes.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Lovely pictures. I especially like the last one with the babbling brook, or is the little stream that gives?

What a fun summer of hikes we've enjoyed with you. I'm a teensy bit jealous. ;-)