It's time for another Friday hike post. Today we hiked to the top of the highest peak in Cache Valley - Mount Naomi. It was supposed to be a "moderate" hike, but we ended up crossing fields of snow that covered the trail. Often we were climbing straight up the mountain instead of on a nice trail of switchbacks. There were a few times that I considered giving up, but wow, I'm glad I didn't. From the top, we could see down into Smithfield and parts north, and the southern part of Cache Valley. Logan was behind the mountains in front of us. We ate lunch on top of the mountain and came back down in about half the time it took us to go up. Part of the reason for the speed was a fun shortcut that we took down a snow field. I can't say that I've ever before gone snow sledding (minus a sled) in July. That was actually a blast, even though I had a cold and wet rear end for half the hike down. For your enjoyment, here are some pictures and a movie or two. (It isn't me sliding, but I went just before, and did the same route, but made it farther down.) The wildflowers were amazing today. We took along a book and identified many of them. I'm sure we saw some that we wouldn't see at other times of the year. I had jelly legs all afternoon, but it was well worth it. I'll be back at hiking next week!

Wild Geraniums
Glacier Lilies that grow only along the edges of melting snow and at altitudes above 7500 feet.
Columbine

A little of the snow we saw.
Yes, we climbed that.

From below looking up at where we were headed.

Me on top of the peak

Lisa, Laurie, Tracii, Nan and Catherine at the trailhead.
1 comment:
I missed you guys!! It looks like you had a great time. Val and I hiked this earlier and the snow was an adventure to say the least. But it was a great hike. See you on the next hike :)
Post a Comment