Saturday, February 23, 2008

Back from Boston

Bryce and I traveled to Boston this week. He attended a conference and I had a great time visiting the city. Most of the pictures I took are, unfortunately, just scenery shots since I was by myself and didn't have anyone to snap the pictures. Anyway, here are a few.






I'm standing in front of the statehouse building. The dome is covered in 23 k gold. Yes, it was February, and yes, it was cold. Later I bought Bryce some earmuffs to wear since we wanted to get out and see things.

We wandered out across Boston Common the first afternoon after we arrived, and before Bryce's meetings began. The statehouse is actually just across the street from the common.




I got a trolley pass and followed the Freedom Trail, visiting many historic sites. I could have walked it if the weather was warmer, but I needed the trolley time to warm up. One of the interesting things I found about Boston is the mix of old with new. Here's Quincy Market, where the early settlers bought and sold cattle. Now it's a building full of little shops and a food court.




Then, look at this picture of the Old Statehouse, completely surrounded by skyscrapers. It's holding its own!



The Freedom Trail was one of the first walking trails designed in a city. To follow it, you follow the red bricks, or red painted lines.




The next day I took the subway out to Harvard. I was a bit confused about the difference between "Harvard Yard" and "Harvard Square" but I learned that the yard is the grassy area on the campus and the square is the shopping district just off campus. I visited the museum of Natural History and saw some amazing glass flowers. They say, "Pahk your Cah in Hahvahd Yahd." And yes, there are students at Harvard!


No comments: