Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanks Gus!

This was one of those "don't go anywhere without Gus" mornings.  Gus is our four wheel drive Toyota 4 Runner.  We bought Gus two winters ago after we realized that there are days just like this one.  When our steep hill gets snow on it there's just no other way out.  Yesterday Lisa and Cody were here during a mini blizzard.  Cody had to leave before we had a chance to clear the road and ended up needing Bryce and Gus to tow him up the hill.  Later the sun shone and Lisa got out just fine.  This morning it was snowing again and I drove Bryce to the stake center for his 6:45 meeting. I put Gus into 4 wheel low and went right up that snowy hill with the snowflakes falling all around.  Getting back home is an interesting experience.  Even Gus can't turn into the driveway when your foot is on the brake and there is snow on the road.  The turn is just too steeply downhill.  But, if you drive to the bottom of the hill, turn around and come back, it's a piece of cake.  Gus does very well climbing.  That's kind of how I feel when I'm hiking.  The uphill requires more effort, but it isn't as treacherous, and it's easier on my knees.  I think by afternoon the snow will melt off the road, but this morning, I'm grateful for Gus.

No comments: