Sunday, September 25, 2011

My weed

I have tried numerous times to grow canteloupe with never any success.  This year, after most of my garden was growing, I noticed a little vine coming up in the beets.  I knew it wasn't a weed, but something that had volunteered from the compost Bryce had buried there last year, so I let it grow.  I knew the beets would be coming out fairly quickly and it wouldn't hurt to have a vine in that space.  Look what it turned out to be!


And oh, it was tasty!  There is another melon out there, but we'll see if it gets ripe.  I picked this one when the wasps were all over it - they knew it was sweet.

2 comments:

Nan said...

Not bad at all for a weed.

Sara said...

You'll have to make sure you compost the seeds from that one. :)