Hike #1 (or 3)
Monday the 4th was a holiday and we took advantage of the day off work to do the first real hike. I took him on my favorite trail to the Temple Sawmill.
We met and chatted with this wrangler who was keeping his cattle on the other side of the stream, even though they were bawling and complaining about crossing. I think I would too. It was fast and furious water. He told us that the 500 head of cattle stay here for two weeks, then move further up the canyon for two more weeks, then up to Tony Grove area for six weeks. Since last we checked, Tony Grove still had snow enough for snowmobiles, it better get melted in a hurry.
This is just one of the many Beaver dams on the river which is really running fast and full.
I just love this spot where the river divides under the trees. The flowers were beautiful all along the trail.
The only thing left at the Sawmill site is this rock monument that was constructed by scouts in the 1940's. Bryce was fascinated with the information and tried to figure out where the buildings would have been.
You can't tell, but we were getting attacked by mosquitoes. We were putting on a good face though for the picture. I love this spot so much that we had to take another picture on the way back down.
There's a sign at the trailhead and one in the middle of the trail.
Hike #2 (or 4)
We had a wonderful visit from Kathy and her boys during the week, and expected that we'd be driving them back to the airport on Saturday. When Sara and Eric offered to take them instead, we grabbed the chance to do another great hike. Bryce has never been to the Wind Caves, and it is a favorite in the valley.
When Sara and Eric did this trail for their first date, they had to ford this stream. Now the trail goes up and over the spring. Amazingly, all that water is just gushing right out of the mountain.
There are amazing views all along the trail.
And here's proof that we made it all the way. I love the shot looking up through the hole. Our new friends liked it as well and the lady even took a picture of Bryce too.
Just love this view!
I never got the tripod out, so here's our only group shot.
Now where will we go next? Suggestions?
1 comment:
Two great hikes to start out with. One of these days we should do a couples hike. Our hubbies miss out on a lot.
Post a Comment